What You Need to Know
- Jeffrey Geller, Rick Rieder, Mary Ellen Stanek and Joel Tillinghast are nominees for outstanding portfolio manager.
- John McClain, Sonali Pier and Justin White are nominees for rising talent — those with seven years' experience or less.
- Capital Group, Dodge & Cox and Primecap are the nominees for exemplary stewardship.
Morningstar has named four longtime portfolio managers as nominees for its Outstanding Portfolio Manager Award, three contenders for its Rising Talent Award and three asset management firms nominated for exemplary stewardship. All are part of the Morningstar Awards for Investing Excellence series, whose winners will be announced later this month.
Portfolio Manager Nominees
The nominees for outstanding portfolio manager are:
- Jeffrey Geller, who runs the JPMorgan Global Allocation Fund (GAOSX), a pure-play tactical allocation fund that has placed in the top 20% of world allocation funds for performance over his 10-year tenure.
- Rick Rieder, who is BlackRock’s chief investment officer of global fixed income and leads multiple fixed income strategies at BlackRock, including the BlackRock Strategic Income Opportunities (BSIIX) and BlackRock Strategic Global Bond (MAWIX) funds.
- Mary Ellen Stanek, who also leads multiple fixed income strategies, but at Baird Asset Management, including the Baird Core Plus Bond (BCOIX) and Baird Aggregate Bond (BAGIX) funds, which outperformed 90% of their peers over Stanek’s 21-year tenure.
- Joel Tillinghast, the portfolio manager of Fidelity Low-Priced Stock Fund (FLPSX), who has been at its helm for over 30 years with a long-term track record “among the industry’s best,” according to Morningstar.
All their funds have four- or five-star Morningstar ratings and analyst ratings of silver or gold.
Rising Talent Nominees
Morningstar’s nominees for rising talent (those with seven years of experience or less) are John McClain, who co-managers the Diamond Hill High Yield Fund (DHHAX) and Diamond Hill Corporate Credit Fund (DSIAX); Sonali Pier, a co-manager of Pimco Diversified Income (PDIIX) Fund; and Justin White, manager of the T. Rowe Price All Cap Opportunities Fund (PRWAX)