What You Need to Know
- LIMRA and Life Happens gathered the data when they conducted the 2021 Insurance Barometer survey.
- 56% of the Black Americans surveyed said they had life insurance.
- 46% said they needed more coverage.
Black American consumers have a strong interest in burial insurance and other forms of final expense insurance, according to LIMRA.
LIMRA talked about the Black American life insurance market Tuesday, in a new release of data from the 2021 Insurance Barometer survey. LIMRA sponsored the online survey together with Life Happens.
The survey sample included a total of 3,007 U.S. adults, including 346 Black U.S. adults.
Here are some results for the full sample:
- Own Life Insurance: 52%
- Plan to Buy New Life Insurance or Additional Coverage Within the Next Year: 36%
- Looking to Hire a Life Insurance Agent or Other Financial Professional: 25%
Here are the comparable results for the Black American survey participants:
- Own Life Insurance: 56%
- Plan to Buy New Life Insurance or Additional Coverage Within the Next Year: About 60%
- Looking to Hire a Life Insurance Agent or Other Financial Professional: 30%
About 46% of the Black American survey participants said they needed more life insurance than they had.