Dr. J.D. Zipkin would like to see you stay home and avoid catching the virus that causes COVID-19 this holiday season.
Zipkin — who is the chief medical officer of GoHealth Urgent Care, an Atlanta-based urgent care clinic company, which has no connection with the GoHealth Medicare plan seller — writes in a recent commentary that the best way to celebrate Thanksgiving and other holidays this year is through the Internet, without coming into contact with people from outside your home.
- A copy of the Zipkin commentary is available here.
- An article about how a big health insurance company’s CEO sees COVID-19 is available here.
But you or your clients may have to travel to carry out caregiving responsibilities, or for other reasons.
Here are seven of Zipkin’s tips for improving the odds that travelers will manage to get through holiday travel without coming down with COVID-19:
1. Get tested for the virus that causes COVID-19 before you travel.
2. Choose to be around people who have quarantined properly.
3. Keep gatherings as small as possible.
4. Stay outside as much as possible, but recognize that being outside can help only if there’s plenty of air circulation.
5. Take off shoes, jackets, and other outerwear when you enter a home.
6. Wash your hands often.
7. At mealtime, avoid using the same serving utensils that other people are using
— Read White House Task Force Trackers See COVID-19 Death Rate Climbing, on ThinkAdvisor.