Close Close
Popular Financial Topics Discover relevant content from across the suite of ALM legal publications From the Industry More content from ThinkAdvisor and select sponsors Investment Advisor Issue Gallery Read digital editions of Investment Advisor Magazine Tax Facts Get clear, current, and reliable answers to pressing tax questions
Luminaries Awards

Portfolio > Mutual Funds

Morningstar’s April Winners and Losers

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Morningstar analysts have taken a critical eye to the fund universe lately. The fund research company just downgraded ratings for 10 funds — including two Vanguard products — and placed one target-date series under review.

On the bright side, its Manager Research Group upgraded seven U.S. funds from providers like Schwab, affirmed ratings for 59 funds and three target-date series; it also gave new ratings to 30 funds. 

A month earlier, the Chicago-based research group upgraded seven funds, downgraded four funds and gave new ratings to 29 mutual funds and 33 exchange-traded funds, while placing one fund under review.

The Morningstar Analyst Ratings represent analysts’ views that a fund can outperform its peers on a risk-adjusted basis over the long term. The five-tiered, qualitative scale has three positive levels — Gold, Silver and Bronze — as well as neutral and negative ratings.

Overall, 134 U.S. funds have a rating of Gold, 313 are Silver, 509 are Bronze, 509 are Neutral, and an unlucky 13 are Negative.

The medalist-rated funds, referred to as Morningstar Medalists, account for about 9% of funds sold in the U.S. and some 61% of assets under management. (Overall, the group’s analysts rate some $12 trillion of U.S. investor assets, or roughly 70% of U.S. investor assets.)

The April 2017 updates are as follows: 


  • Ariel International: Bronze (from Neutral)
  • PIMCO Low Duration: Silver (from Bronze)
  • Prudential Total Return Bond: Silver (from Bronze)
  • Schwab International Index: Silver (from Bronze)
  • Schwab Total Stock Market Index: Silver (from Bronze)
  • Schwab S&P 500 Index: Silver (from Bronze)
  • SPDR S&P MidCap 400 ETF: Silver (from Bronze)


  • BlackRock Basic Value: Neutral (from Bronze)
  • Bridgeway Blue Chip 35 Index: Bronze (from Silver)
  • CBRE Clarion Long/Short: Neutral (from Bronze)
  • Columbia Acorn International: Bronze (from Silver)
  • FPA Capital: Neutral (from Bronze)
  • Franklin Mutual Global Discovery: Bronze (from Silver)
  • Invesco Real Estate: Neutral (from Bronze
  • Merger: Bronze (from Silver)
  • Vanguard European Stock Index: Silver (from Gold)
  • Vanguard FTSE Europe ETF: Silver (from Gold)

Under Review

  • Wells Fargo Dow Jones Target-Date Series: Neutral

New Ratings (Partial List)

  • Ariel Appreciation: Bronze
  • Franklin Mutual Financial Services: Bronze
  • Hartford International Opportunities Y: Bronze
  • iShares Currency Hedged MSCI Eurozone: Bronze
  • Vanguard FTSE Pacific ETF: Bronze

The full list of new Morningstar ratings for 30 funds is available here.

— Check out Lipper Names Top Fund Managers of 2017 on ThinkAdvisor.


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.