You just finished that big project—congratulations! Big success, however, requires that you never finish these 5 tasks:
1. Prospecting. No matter how good your sales or solid your business, you can never stop prospecting. You can and will lose clients—much of the time through no fault of your own. But you’ll only be able to effectively grow if you’re always prospecting.
2. Building relationships. Absence does not make the heart grow fonder. It makes the heart go wander. Relationships are an investment of time and energy—and sometimes money. You can never stop making investments in the relationships that matter (in your business and your life).
3. Creating value. If you’re going to grow your client relationships and your business, you’re going to need to continually create greater value. It isn’t always easy to come up with the next amazing thing. It isn’t always easy to find new ways to contribute to your clients’ success. But the duty to create more value never ends.
4. Learning. In this disruptive age, the amount of knowledge we possess is growing exponentially. This means that what you know and understand now is not enough. Right now, you and I are woefully behind—and losing ground. Knowledge isn’t power; it’s potential power. It becomes power only when you act on that knowledge. Knowledge isn’t wisdom either. You need to decide what’s important, what things mean and what needs to be done now. Never stop learning.
5. Growing. Good enough isn’t good enough. Better isn’t good enough either. You need to continue to improve yourself personally and professionally as if your very success depends upon it. Because it does.
There’s a difference between disciplines and goals. Goals are important, but disciplines are even more important. Your disciplines undergird everything you are, everything you do and everything you will become. A goal can be accomplished and put behind you, but disciplines are forever. Some things just aren’t meant to be finished.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
S. Anthony Iannarino is the managing director of B2B Sales Coach & Consultancy, a boutique sales coaching and consulting company, and an adjunct faculty member at Capital University’s School of Management and Leadership. For more information, go http://thesalesblog.com/s-anthony-iannarino/.