What You Need to Know
- 13% skip physicals because they're worried they have a serious health issue.
- 69% search Google for health advice instead of going to a doctor.
- 26% look for medical advice on YouTube.
Harmony Healthcare IT has asked millennials about a matter of keen interest to life and disability insurers: How many have health issues doctors don’t know about.
The South Bend, Indiana-based medical record data management company recently surveyed 2,040 U.S. adults ages 23 through 39 to find out how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting young adults’ use of health care.
About 43% of the survey participants said they had been ignoring a health issue.
Here’s a breakdown of how long the participants with unaddressed health issues said they had been ignoring the issues:
- Three Months or Less: 35%
- Three to Six Months: 18%
- Six Months to One Year: 14%
- Longer Than One Year: 33%
Harmony did not ask the survey participants about the nature of their complaints.
The company learned about the extent of millennials’ secret health issues when it asked those who had not had checkups in the COVID-19 era their reasons for avoiding the doctor.
About 50% cited COVID-19-related safety concerns.
Most of the rest listed concerns such as, “I feel healthy,” and “Inconvenient.”