Morningstar (MORN) released the nominees for the 2013 U.S. Fund Manager of the Year awards on Monday. It will name the outstanding fund managers in five categories on Jan. 15.
The research group says it nominates managers based on “impressive performance,” as well as “excellent long-term risk-adjusted returns” and being “good stewards of fund shareholders’ capital.”
“We have an esteemed list of nominees for this year’s awards, filled with fund managers who have adeptly steered shareholder capital and outperformed their peers over the long term, in addition to attaining strong returns in 2013,” said Scott Burns, Morningstar’s director of global fund research, in a press release.
Though PIMCO did make it to the list of fixed-income nominees, Bill Gross, who Morningstar named fixed-income manager of the decade in 2010, and the PIMCO Total Return Fund (PTTRX) didn’t make the cut.
The nominees for the 2013 Fund Manager of the Year awards in the United States are:
Domestic Stock Fund Manager of the Year
- William Martindale and Robert Mitchell, Conestoga Small Cap (CCASX);
- Team, Dodge and Cox Stock (DODGX);
- Dennis Lynch and team, Morgan Stanley Focus Growth (AMOAX), Morgan Stanley Growth (MSEQX), Morgan Stanley Mid Cap Growth (MPEGX) and Morgan Stanley Small Company Growth (MSSGX);
- Harry Burn, John DeGulis, and Gibb Kane, Sound Shore Fund (SSHFX); and
- Larry Puglia, T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth (TRBCX).
International Stock Fund Manager of the Year
- Daniel O’Keefe and David Samra, Artisan International Value (ARTKX) and Artisan Global Value (ARTGX)
- Mark Yockey and team, Artisan International (ARTIX);
- Sarah Ketterer, Harry Hartford, and team, Causeway International Value (CIVVX);
- Team, Dodge and Cox International Stock (DODFX); and
- David Herro and Rob Taylor, Oakmark International (OAKIX).
Fixed Income Fund Manager of the Year
- Team, Dodge and Cox Income (DODIX);
- Matt Eagan, Dan Fuss, and Elaine Stokes, Loomis Sayles Bond (LSBRX);
- Stephen Kane, Laird Landmann, and Tad Rivelle, Metropolitan West Total Return Bond (MWTRX);
- Daniel J. Ivascyn and Alfred T. Murata, PIMCO Income (PIMIX); and
- Mark Vaselkiv, T. Rowe Price High-Yield (PRHYX).
Alternatives Fund Manager of the Year
- Brian Hurst, Yao Hua Ooi, and team, AQR Managed Futures Strategy I (AQMIX);
- Michael Aronstein , MainStay Marketfield (MFLDX); and
- Eric Connerly, Jay Feeney Jr., and team, Robeco Boston Partners Long/Short Research (BPIRX).
Allocation Fund Manager of the Year
- Team, American Funds American Balanced (ABALX);
- Team, Dodge and Cox Balanced (DODBX);
- Mark Landecker, Steve Romick and Brian Selmo, FPA Crescent (FPACX); and
- David Giroux, T. Rowe Price Capital Appreciation (PRWCX).
Check out these related stories on ThinkAdvisor: