- 72.7% — Percentage of IRA assets held by someone 55 or older in 2004, despite the fact that only 45.7 percent of the population of IRA-owners were 55 or older.
- 25.4% — Percentage of retirement wealth represented by IRAs in 2008.
- 19.6% — Percentage of IRA owners between 60 and 64 who are taking withdrawals from their IRAs; the percentage of the aggregate IRA balance withdrawn for this age group is 3.8 percent.
- 28.6 percent — Percentage of 65- to 69-year-old IRA owners who are taking withdrawals; the aggregate IRA balance withdrawn is 3.9 percent.
- 93 percent — Percentage of IRA owners 70 and older who are taking withdrawals; the aggregate IRA balance withdrawn is 6.5 percent.
Source: Investment Company Institute