1. The family creates a philanthropic mission statement to help it consistently evaluate charitable requests.
2. Each family member participates in the philanthropic process and discussion.
3. To the extent their maturity permits, the children help initially to select the charities, evaluate the alignment with the mission statement, and participate in due diligence of the charities.
4. Since the mission statement and the charities’ focus–and management–may evolve, the family regularly reviews its philanthropic activities.
5. The family participates in regular discussions to make sure that the core values of the recipients align with those of the family.