- Nearly 1/3 of family business owners have no estate plan beyond a will.*
- 54%: Percentage of family business owners who indicate a clear understanding of estate taxes.*
- Fewer than 1/2 of family business owners who expect to retire in five years have selected a successor; of those expecting to retire in six to 11 years less than 1/3 have done so.*
- 60%: Percentage of age 50+ Americans who have a will; 45% have a durable power of attorney and 23% have a living trust.
- 51%: Percentage of Americans age 50+ with a high school education or less with a will; 80% of those with a college degree have one.
- 39% with a high school diploma or less have a durable power of attorney, compared to 58% with a college degree.
- 26%: Percentage of men with a living trust; 20% of women have a living trust.