Sun Life Financial Inc. has promoted Richard McKenney to executive vice president and chief financial officer.
McKenney has been an executive at Sun Life, Toronto, since September. He previously was chief financial officer at Genworth Financial Inc., Richmond, Va.
McKenney succeeds Paul Derksen, who announced in 2006 that he wanted to retire this year.
In other personnel news:
- Principal Financial Group Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, has promoted Greg Elming to senior vice president and controller.
Elming became a vice president and controller at Principal in 2000.
Elming has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa. He is a Fellow of Life Management Institute.
- Western & Southern Financial Group, Cincinnati, has promoted J.J. Miller to president of its Columbus Life Insurance Company unit, from senior vice president at Western & Southern.
Miller holds the Chartered Life Underwriter and Chartered Financial Consultant professional designations, and he is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.
Lawrence Grypp, who has been president of both the Columbus Life and Lafayette Life Insurance Company units for about a year, will continue to run Lafayette Life.
- CIGNA HealthCare, Bloomfield, Conn., a unit of CIGNA Corp., Philadelphia, has hired Juan Conde to be chief information officer.
Conde previously was chief information officer for the New York operations of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
Conde has a bachelor’s degree from the College of William and Mary.
- Hartford Financial Services Group Inc., Hartford, has hired Richard Anzaldua to be senior vice president, associate general counsel and director of corporate law.
He previously was a partner in the New York office of Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton L.L.P. He also has been publications director for the Center for U.S. Mexican Studies.
Anzaldua has a bachelor’s degree in Latin American studies from Brown University and a law degree from Harvard University.
Anzaldua is chair of the Latino Alumni Committee for the Harvard Law School Association and of the Hispanic National Bar Association New York Region’s Committee on the Judiciary.
- Securian Financial Group Inc., St. Paul, Minn., a unit of Minnesota Mutual Companies Inc., has promoted Dianne Orbison to executive vice president. She continues to be the company chief investment officer and president of its asset management subsidiary.