Sun Life Financial Inc. has promoted Richard McKenney to executive vice president and chief financial officer.
McKenney has been an executive at Sun Life, Toronto, since September. He previously was chief financial officer at Genworth Financial Inc., Richmond, Va.
McKenney succeeds Paul Derksen, who announced in 2006 that he wanted to retire this year.
In other personnel news:
- Principal Financial Group Inc., Des Moines, Iowa, has promoted Greg Elming to senior vice president and controller.
Elming became a vice president and controller at Principal in 2000.
Elming has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa. He is a Fellow of Life Management Institute.
- Western & Southern Financial Group, Cincinnati, has promoted J.J. Miller to president of its Columbus Life Insurance Company unit, from senior vice president at Western & Southern.
Miller holds the Chartered Life Underwriter and Chartered Financial Consultant professional designations, and he is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries.
Lawrence Grypp, who has been president of both the Columbus Life and Lafayette Life Insurance Company units for about a year, will continue to run Lafayette Life.
- CIGNA HealthCare, Bloomfield, Conn., a unit of CIGNA Corp., Philadelphia, has hired Juan Conde to be chief information officer.
Conde previously was chief information officer for the New York operations of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
Conde has a bachelor’s degree from the College of William and Mary.
- Hartford Financial Services Group Inc., Hartford, has hired Richard Anzaldua to be senior vice president, associate general counsel and director of corporate law.
He previously was a partner in the New York office of Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton L.L.P. He also has been publications director for the Center for U.S. Mexican Studies.
Anzaldua has a bachelor’s degree in Latin American studies from Brown University and a law degree from Harvard University.
Anzaldua is chair of the Latino Alumni Committee for the Harvard Law School Association and of the Hispanic National Bar Association New York Region’s Committee on the Judiciary.
- Securian Financial Group Inc., St. Paul, Minn., a unit of Minnesota Mutual Companies Inc., has promoted Dianne Orbison to executive vice president. She continues to be the company chief investment officer and president of its asset management subsidiary.
Orbison has bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- New York Life Insurance Company, New York, has promoted Russell Bundschuh to executive vice president and chief operating officer of its New York Life International unit.
Bundschuh previously was first vice president of corporate development at the parent company.
Bundschuh has bachelor’s degrees in electrical and geophysical engineering from the Colorado School of Mines. He has master’s degree in business administration from the University of Pennsylvania.
- AEGON N.V., The Hague, Netherlands, has promoted Louise Costikyan to senior vice president for investor relations. She will run the investor relations operation together with Gerbrand Nijman, a new AEGO executive who also will have the title of senior vice president for investor relations.
Costikyan previously was vice president for investor relations at AEGON.
- WageWorks Inc., San Mateo, Calif., a wellness and fringe benefits company, has hired Joe Jackson to be chief executive officer.
Jackson succeeds Jon Kessler, the company founder, who has been serving as both chairman and chief executive of the company.
Kessler will continue to be the company’s chairman, WageWorks says.
Jackson previously was president of Western Union global payment services at First Data Corp., Atlanta.
- AmeriHealth New Jersey, a unit of Independence Blue Cross, Philadelphia, has hired Michael Munoz to be vice president of sales.
Munoz previously was the vice president of sales for the mid-Atlantic region and new business opportunities at the Oxford Health Plans unit of UnitedHealth Group Inc., Minnetonka, Minn.
- Hawthorne Benefit Technologies Inc., San Diego, a benefits Web software company that does business as BeneTrac, has hired Jessica Hennika to be regional sales director for Arizona.
Hennika previously worked for Paytech Inc., Greenwood Village, Colo. She has a bachelor’s degree from the University of South Florida.
- Magellan Health Services Inc., Avon, Conn., says Nancy Johnson is a nominee for a seat on its board.
Magellan manages mental health care and addiction services for tens of millions of Americans.
Johnson previously was a Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives. Johnson was well known in the insurance industry for her work on efforts to create tax incentives that would encourage U.S. residents to buy private long term care insurance.
Johnson has a bachelor’s degree from Harvard University.