What You Need to Know
- Participating will force you to meet new people.
- You can get ideas from them.
- You might get targeted referrals.
The best business networking groups tend to be organizations that require a fairly sizeable fee, have a vetting process, and have a structure that connects the right people to the right people.
That’s a mouthful.
That said, if you don’t participate, follow up, set up individual meetings with attendees, bring guests, and make referrals, the best networking group in the world won’t work for you. Fact.
If you’re serious about networking and growing your business, here are four reasons to join a business networking group.
1. You’ll have a system for meeting new people.
Whether it’s every third Wednesday of the month or every last Thursday, committing to a regular networking meeting forces you to block your calendar to meet new people.
By meeting new people, you have a tremendous opportunity to learn about each other’s businesses while figuring out how you might help one another.
2. You’ll have a system to develop relationships with those you’ve met.
If you ask those you know specific questions, you’ll get specific answers.
I’ll bet if you ask the right questions, you’ll learn something even from people you already know.
- What other networking groups or associations do you belong to?
- What are three things nobody knows about you?
- What is your favorite book?
- How did you get started in your business?
- What is your favorite movie? Show on Netflix?
These are some of my favorite questions.
Questions like these are fun and telling, so do tell.
3. You’ll always have a meeting to invite others to.
If you invite the key people you’re looking to develop a relationship with to your business networking group, they will appreciate you thinking of them.
Also, if they happen to join the group, you’ll have even more opportunities to connect with them.
Getting in the habit of inviting guests to your business networking groups and associations will earn you the respect of the board members and leaders of the group while helping you further grow your network.