An arm of HealthCare Inc. has introduced a health insurance product that sits somewhere on the edge between between traditional, bare-bones short-term health insurance and full-blown major medical insurance.
The company’s Pivot Health division has developed the new Quantum PPO policy with underwriting muscle from Companion Life Insurance Company and provider network help from Cigna Corp.
For a few years, the federal government imposed a three-month limit on the duration of short-term health insurance policies. The administration of President Donald Trump has since given states the ability to let short-term policies stay in place for up to 364 days, and to let policyholders use renewals to keep the coverage in place for up to three years.
The new policy can stay in force for up to 364 days, in states that allow that.
Policies “may include extended coverage options,” HealthCare Inc. says.
HealthCare Inc. the parent of the HealthCare.com web broker site as well as of Pivot Health.
The new Quantum PPO policy offers insureds access to the Cigna preferred provider organization provider network.
A product brochure posted by a distributor shows that purchasers can choose coverage with:
- Up to $1 million in benefits per coverage period.
- Round-the-clock access to telemedicine doctor consultations, with a $49 fee.
- Deductibles ranging from $2,500 to $10,000.
- Coverage for one preventive exam per coverage period.
- Options for co-payments for doctors’ office visits.
- A $10,000 cap on out-of-pocket costs for in-network care.
- Supplemental accident coverage.
- Coverage for mental disorders, subject to a deductible and coinsurance requirements.
- Travel emergency care coverage, subject to a deductible and coinsurance requirements.
HealthCare is offering the policy to people ages 18 to 64 and 11 months, and to their dependent children.
The Underwriting Rules and Coverage Restrictions
The policy is medically underwritten, and it comes with a pre-existing condition exclusion.