Morningstar says it has raised its ratings on five funds, downgraded ratings for eight funds and affirmed ratings for 70 funds and one target-date series in December.
The Morningstar Analyst Ratings represent analysts’ views that a fund can outperform its peers on a risk-adjusted basis over the long term. The five-tiered, qualitative scale has three positive levels — Gold, Silver and Bronze — as well as neutral and negative ratings.
As of Dec. 31, Morningstar analysts had assigned a Gold ratings to 145 U.S. funds, Silver ratings to 328 funds, Bronze ratings to 600 funds. The research firm says 679 funds have Neutral ratings, while 18 have Negative ratings.
Morningstar Medalists currently account for about 6% of individual mutual funds available for sale in the United States and 60% of assets under management.
The firm’s research analysts assign ratings to roughly $11.4 trillion of U.S. investor assets, or some 69% of total investor assets.
Read on for more details on Morningstar’s December 2017 updates:
- American Funds Bond Fund of America (Bronze from Neutral)
- T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth (Gold from Silver)
- Vanguard Energy (Silver from Bronze)
- Vanguard FTSE Social Index (Silver from Bronze)
- Western Asset Core Bond (Silver from Gold
- AllianzGI NFJ International Value (Neutral from Bronze)
- AQR Managed Futures Strategy (Bronze from Silver)
- Berwyn Income (Bronze from Silver)
- DFS Two-Year Global Fixed Income (Neutral from Bronze)
- Eaton Vance Atlanta Capital SMID-Cap (Bronze from Silver)
- Fidelity Government Income (Bronze from Gold)
- Osterweis Strategic Income (Neutral from Bronze)
- Third Avenue Real Estate Value (Neutral from Silver)
Funds with new Morningstar ratings, include these funds:
- Pimco Enhanced Short Maturity Active ETF (Gold)
- T. Rowe Price Institutional Large Cap Core Growth (Gold)
- Boston Partners Global Equity (Silver)
- J. Hancock Blue Chip Growth (Silver)
- VY JPMorgan Mid Cap Value (Silver)
- American Funds US Government Securities (Bronze)
- Columbia Income Builder (Bronze)
- Credit Suisse Floating Rate High Income (Bronze)
- Davenport Equity Opportunities (Bronze)
- Hartford Total Return Bond (Bronze)
- Prudential Muni High Income (Bronze)
- Prudential Short Duraction Muni High Income (Bronze)
- Schwab Hedged Equity (Bronze)
- SPDR Dow Jones Global Real Estate ETF (Bronze)
- USAA Growth & Tax Strategy (Bronze)
- Vanguard Global Ex-US Real Estate ETF (Bronze)
- Voya Real Estate (Bronze)
- WisdomTree Barclays Yield Enhanced U.S. Aggregate Bond (Bronze)
— Check out 16 Best Fund Managers of 2017: Morningstar on ThinkAdvisor.