Here is a five-step program for reaching your goals faster. It brings together several techniques to achieve permanent mind change and illustrates the key principles of becoming a highly effective “possibility thinker.”
1. Imagine the perfect future. Perhaps the biggest obstacles to creating a wonderful life are self-limiting beliefs. Everyone has them, and some people have so many, they become completely paralyzed by them. A self-limiting belief tells you that you are limited in some way, whether it be time, talent, intelligence, money, ability or opportunity. The way you free yourself from these beliefs is to change your thinking about who you are and what is truly possible for you.
2. Show me the money. Start with your income. How much do you want to be earning one, two, three and five years from today? Look around you and ask “Who else is earning the kind of money I want to earn, and what are they doing differently from me?” If you don’t know or aren’t sure, go ask them. Do your homework.
3. Design your perfect life. Imagine your perfect lifestyle. If you had no limitations at all, how would you like to live, day in and day out? If you were financially independent, what kind of home would you live in? What kind of car would drive? What kind of life would you like to provide for your family? What sort of activities would you like to engage in throughout the week, month and year?
4. Bring the ideal into reality. After you’ve sat down and designed your ideal lifestyle, compare it to what you are doing today. What are the primary differences? Begin planning how you can bring your current lifestyle closer to your ideal. When you idealize your income or lifestyle, you begin projecting into the future and making plans to realize your dreams.
5. Take charge through personal leadership. Create your ideal future self in terms of your personal and professional development. What kind of person do you want to be in the future? What additional knowledge and skills do you want to acquire? In what areas would you like to become absolutely excellent? What subjects would you like to master? What do you need to learn to move up in your field? What steps can you take toward your goals? Through personal leadership, you can begin creating your ideal life.
If you’re really serious about achieving your goals, take some time to make them happen. You’ve got everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
Brian Tracy is the CEO of Brian Tracy International, which specializes in business training, and the author of the best-selling Psychology of Achievement. For more information, go to www.briantracy.com.