Bloggers have been getting a bad rap for years. The term “blog” originally had the connotation of being frivolous, rant-ish or just plain gossipy. But despite its humble beginnings, the blog has become one of the most relied upon sources on the Internet. Powerful blogs have morphed into books, newspaper columns, movies and TV shows.
Want more proof the power of blogs? Hubspot found that:
- Companies that blog generate 67 percent more leads per month than those that do not.
- Businesses that blog at least 20 times per month generate five times more traffic and four times more leads than those that blog only a few times per month.
- About 46 percent of daily Internet users read more than one blog each day.
- A recent study by the Spectrum Group found that nearly one-third of investors with a net worth of $5 million or more say they either read or would read blogs published by trusted financial advisors.
If that isn’t enough to get your attention, let’s look at some of benefits of blog writing:
- Your blog will distinguish you from the competition. Let’s face it: Consumers are doing online research to make an informed decision on just about everything, including financial advice. Many financial websites are nothing more than boring templates that provide little more than advertising. A blog allows you to actually speak to your clients and prospects. A blog with relevant and continually fresh content not only builds trust and credibility but also allows you to be just a little different. With a blog, you can do things your competition may not be doing.
- Your blog will increase your SEO. A good financial blog could actually serve as the heart of your website. By publishing content to your blog on a consistent basis, you will greatly improve your search rankings. Anytime you add text-rich pages to your website, you’re giving Google more content to index. More content means your website will show up in more searches. As the number of readers increases, so does too does your ranking and therefore the number of potential visitors to your site. Want your site to show up in specific searches? Use the topics and tag features of your blog to select specific search terms.
- Your blog can become a referral source. Most people make buying or investment decisions based on trust. Consumers are tired of advertising and want to conduct business with companies that are transparent about the products or services being offered. As readers realize that you are providing valuable information in your blog, they will have no problem sharing their trust in you with others.
Major corporations are very active in business blogging. Why? Because they understand how important a blog can be in not only promoting a brand but also establishing credibility in the minds of consumers. Whether you are a seasoned financial advisor or just starting out, a well-designed blog will expand your reach and help you build a community of loyal clients.