Despite the apprehension about the financial future of their families, only 32 percent reported that they utilized the services of a financial professional to assist with insurance and financial planning tools such as annuities.
The survey found that mothers across the country are underinsured across the board with 46 percent not owning disability insurance and 68 percent not owning long-term care insurance.
In their report, Mass Mutual offered some tips for mothers to mitigate the risk of a perilous financial future:
- Be prepared for emergencies by establishing an emergency savings account;
- Protect your income by conferring with a financial professional to plan for your future;
- Guard your independence by purchasing a long term care product;
- Avoid procrastination and plan now and not later for your future;
- Sit down with spouse or partner once a month to discuss finances.
The survey was conducted for MassMutual by the Forbes Consulting Group LLC between May 2 and 11, 2012. The survey comprised 1,014 American women between 26-65.