The Physician Insurers Association of America has hired Brian Atchinson – the former president of the Insurance Marketplace Standards Association – to be its next president and chief executive officer.
ociation of America (PIAA) has hired Brian Atchinson – the former president of the Insurance Marketplace Standards Association (IMSA) – to be its next president and chief executive officer.
The PIAA, Rockville, Md., is a trade group for medical professional liability insurance companies.
Atchinson will succeed Lawrence Smarr, is who is leaving the PIAA after 19 years of service, the group says.
Atchinson previously was acting head of institutional relations at the International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, Geneva.
From 1992 to 1997, Atchinson was the Maine insurance superintendent. He held several officer positions at the president of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Kansas City, Mo., including president.
Atchinson later was managing counsel at a company that is now part of Unum Group Corp., Chattanooga, Tenn. (NYSE:UNM).
From 2001 to 2010, Atchinson was the leader of IMSA, an organization formed to help insurers adopt and follow guidelines for doing business with consumers in an ethical fashion.
Atchinson has a bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of Massachusetts and a law degree from Syracuse University.
In other personnel changes news:
- Aetna Inc., Hartford (NYSE:AET), has promoted Krishnan Sridharan to be vice president and head of sales, Latin America.
Sridharan previously was vice president of strategy and business development at Aetna International.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, Phoenix, has hired Audrey Halvorson to be vice president of actuarial services and health care economics.
Halvorson previously owned and operated an actuarial consulting firm. Before that, she was chief actuary at Premera Blue Cross, Mountlake Terrace, Wash.
Halvorson has a bachelor’s degree in actuarial science from the University of Wisconsin. She is a member of the Society of Actuaries.
- Symetra Life Insurance Company, a unit of Symetra Financial Corp., Bellevue, Wash. (NYSE:SYA), has hired three new regional vice presidents (RVPs). The RVPs will be regional sales directors for group life and disability income.
Christopher Koettker will be based in Dallas and handle the Western region.
Andrew McMillan will be based in Atlanta and handle Eastern region.
Steve Mezei will be based in Fairfield, Conn., and handle the Northeastern region.
- Great West Life & Annuity Insurance Company, Greenwood Village, Colo., a unit of Power Corp. of Canada, Montreal, has hired Joe Greene to be senior vice president and chief marketing officer.
Greene previously was senior vice president and director of marketing and strategic planning at Bernstein-Rein Advertising, Kansas City, Mo.
Greene has a bachelor’s degree from Hamilton University and a master’s degree in business from Columbia University. He served as chairman of the marketing committee at the Investment Company Institute, Washington, and is a past chairman of the Mutual Fund Education Alliance.
Other personnel changes columns from National Underwriter Life & Health:
- Personnel Changes: Nippon Life, Great-West, Lockton, Cohen Milstein
- Personnel Changes: Prudential, Aviva, Lincoln Financial, Triple-S
- Personnel Changes: MetLife, Lincoln Financial, Resource Intermediaries
- Personnel Changes: New York Life, Commonwealth Fund, Digital Insurance, Creative Marketing, Burnham
- Personnel Changes: Hartford, National Life, USAA Life, Se2, Starr, Conning, Catalyst