Imagine shopping for a new Lexus. You’re torn between two models, and you just can’t make the call. You ask the salesman, “Which do you prefer?” He responds, “Well, I drive an Audi, so I’m not quite sure. I hear they’re both amazing …”
In an era where trust and transparency are increasingly rare, one of the most powerful tools at our disposal is our own story. If we own the product and the difference that product has made in our own life, then we truly have something to offer that is effective and refreshing.
Here’s a great way to get started: Write down your “conversion story” and make it a part of your conversation with clients.
- What was your situation like before you began using this product or service?
- Describe a vivid and emotional story that demonstrates your frustrations leading to your use of this product or service.
- What was the breakthrough that resulted?
- How have you been able to help others as a result of this breakthrough?
- How does this story relate to the prospect’s situation?
When we take the time to develop and truly own our own struggles and breakthroughs in a way that resonates, we become more human. When we’re human, we open ourselves up to a new level of connectivity with our clients.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
- Advisor marketing: Using calls to action in selling
- 4 ways advisors can position themselves as an expert
- Advisor websites: Progression is key
Adam Cufr is a founding principal of Fourth Dimension Financial Group LLC. He is the creator of the Web-based coaching program The Life Insurance Blueprint, a prolific blogger, and an expert author on Ezine Articles. For more information, go to http://adamcufr.com/blog.