Did you know boomers are now spending more time online than they do watching TV? That is both an amazing and scary statistic if you are still running your business the same way you were 10 years ago. Here are five reasons why you should reconsider how you connect with your clients and prospects:
- Boomers now spend more free time online, 12.9 hrs per week on average, than they do watching traditional TV, 11.8 hrs per week on average.
- Google searches have increased by 2,000 percent from 2000 to 2010.
- The average time consumers spend online has grown 667 percent, from 2.7 hours per week in 2000 to 10 hours per week in 2010.
- Boomer professionals are spending more time online with social networking sites – where 51 percent say they currently maintain one or more profiles, and nearly 57 percent of these boomers report they use LinkedIn while another 55 percent have a Facebook profile.
- The number of daily newspapers, one of the oldest and most traditional marketing channels since advertising began, dropped by 12 percent from 2000 to 2010.
Here’s my personal challenge to you: Google yourself or the name of your firm. What do you see? Where do you rank? What you see is what your prospects are seeing when they consider doing business with you.
If you aren’t happy with the story your online presence is telling your prospects about your business, I can help. Here are a few examples from the 100-plus custom websites my company has done for our advisors: http://www.cen-wealth.com, http://www.retirementmattersradio.com and http://www.jonesadvisory.net.