Jack Canfield, an entrepreneurial expert and author of the popular “Chicken Soup for the Soul,” uses “mind mapping,” a process for creating a detailed to-do list for reaching your goal. Canfield mind mapped when creating his first educational audio program–a breakthrough goal that led to remarkable returns for him–to help him “chunk down” the goal into each separate task needed to complete the finished product.
To mind-map your own goals, follow these simple steps based on Canfield’s example:
- Center circle: In the center circle, write down the name of your stated goal–in his case, “create an audio educational program.”
- Outside circles: Divide the goal into the major categories of tasks you’ll need to do to achieve the goal–for example, “title,” “studio,” “topics,” “audience” and so on.
- Spokes: Now draw spokes radiating outward from each mini circle and label each one such as “write copy,” “color picture for back cover” and “arrange lunch.”
- On a separate line connected to the mini circle, write every step you need to take. Break down each one of the more detailed task spokes with action items to help you create your master to-do list.
Mind mapping helps determine what information you need to gather, who you need to talk to, what small steps you need to take, how much money you need to earn or raise, which deadlines you need to meet, and so on–for each and every goal.
*We’re turning it over to you to tell us what kinds of tips you would like to see in the future. What kind of industry information and advice would help you, or interests you the most? Please tell us your thoughts using the comment form below.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day!
- The 10,000-hour rule: What elite advisors, Bill Gates and the Beatles have in common
- Two recession-inspired smart changes for your business
- Five steps to start planning for 2011
Jack Canfield, America’s success coach, is the founder and co-creator of the billion-dollar book brand “Chicken Soup for the Soul” and a leading authority on peak performance. If you’re ready to jump start your life, make more money and have more fun and joy in all that you do, get your free success tips from Canfield now at: www.FreeSuccessStrategies.com.