Close Close

Life Health > Health Insurance > Medicare Planning

FAQ: Canceling Part B

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

An agent asks….

Q: Can someone currently enrolled in Part B cancel this coverage? If so, how is this done? What are the consequences of getting back on Part B later?

A: If a person is enrolled in Part B, and then wants to disenroll in Part B, they may do so by visiting their local Social Security office, or by going online to If they maintain “other credible coverage,” they may return to Part B during certain time periods without penalty.

Our Medicare expert is Mike Smith, president of The Brokerage Inc. He can be reached at [email protected] or 469-635-6703.

If you would like to be considered for our Medicare FAQ expert panel to answer frequently asked questions, email associate editor Heather Trese.

Do you have a Medicare question that you would like answered? Email us and let us know! Please put “Medicare FAQ” in the subject line.


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.