- 4.6 — Average number of years caregiving lasts.
- 77 — Average age of a care recipient in 2009; the average caregiver is 50 years old.
- 75% — Percentage of caregivers who are between 50 and 64, compared with 58 percent of caregivers who are 65 or older.
- 52 — Percentage of caregivers 65 or older who share duties with another caregiver; 72 percent of caregivers between 50 and 64 share duties.
- 25% — Percentage of caregivers who say it is difficult to coordinate with their recipient’s health care professionals or other service providers.
- 48% — Approximate percentage of caregivers who say they haven’t turned to the Internet in the past year to find information about being a caregiver; an additional 19 percent rarely use the Internet for this purpose.
Source: National Alliance for Caregiving, MetLife and AARP