Phyllis Borzi is the new head of the U.S. Labor Department agency that oversees benefit plans.
Borzi is now assistant secretary of Labor for the Employee Benefits Security Administration.
She previously was a research professor at George Washington University Medical Center. She also was of counsel with O’Donoghue & O’Donoghue L.L.P., Washington, a law firm.
From 1979 to 1995, Borzi was pension and employee benefit counsel for the House Education and Labor Committee’s labor-management relations subcommittee. In 1993, she was on working groups dealing with insurance reform, workers’ compensation and employer coverage in connection with the Clinton Task Force on Health Care Reform.
Borzi has a master’s degree in English from Syracuse University and a law degree from Catholic University.
In other personnel news:
- Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind., has hired Jacqueline Brainard to be vice president, re-engineering.
Brainard previously was a senior vice president at BCS Financial Corp., Oakbrook Terrace, Ill.
Brainard has a bachelor’s degree from Moorhead State University, a master’s degree in business from the University of Saint Thomas, and a law degree from William Mitchell College of Law.
Brainard holds the Certified Public Accountant, Fellowship of the Life Management Institute and Health Insurance Associate professional designations.
- Dentegra Group Inc., San Francisco, the parent of Delta Dental of California and other Delta Dental carriers, has promoted Charles Lamont to chief legal officer and executive vice president.
Lamont succeeds Robert Becker, who is retiring after 24 years.
Lamong previously was senior vice president for legal and compliance at Delta Dental.
Lamont has a bachelor’s degree from Brown University and a law degree from the University of California at Berkeley.
- The Wellesley Hills, Mass., U.S. division of Sun Life Financial Inc., Toronto, has hired Bill Webster to be vice president for brand strategy;
Webster previously was vice president, global brand and marketing services, at MetLife Inc., New York. He has a bachelor’s degree in political economy from Williams College.
The U.S. division also has hired Michael Murphy to be assistant vice president for individual life product marketing; Rekha Sampath to be assistant vice president for competitive intelligence and innovation; and Lisa Whittaker to be assistant vice president for investment product marketing.
– New York Life Insurance Company, New York, has hired Angela Kyle to be senior vice president and head of the company’s individual annuity department
Kyle previously was vice president and head of pension product management at the Teachers Insurance Annuity Association-College Retirement. Equities Fund, New York.
She has a bachelor’s degree in marketing from the University of Houston.
- Norvax Inc., Chicago, has hired Mike Owens to be a senior vice president at its GoHealthInsurance.com business.
Owens has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Illinois, Chicago, and a master’s degree in business from the University of Chicago.
– Clements International Inc., Washington, an insurance broker that serves customers with international insurance needs, has promoted J. Christopher Beck to president, from senior vice president.
Beck has a bachelor’s degree in political science from the University of Maryland.