Second-quarter earnings reports started to trickle out this week.
Ameriprise Financial Inc., Minneapolis
2 Q 2009 Results
NET INCOME: $95 million
What Your Peers Are Reading
NET REALIZED INVESTMENT CHANGE: $4 million loss
REVENUE: $1.9 billion
2 Q 2008 Results
NET INCOME: $210 million
NET REALIZED INVESTMENT CHANGE: $18 million gain
REVENUE: $2 billion
- Ameriprise Chairman Jim Cracchiolo is expressing cautious optimism. “While the environment continued to impact our results, we’re beginning to see signs of improvement, with increased client activity and solid asset flows across our platform,” Cracchiolo says in a statement accompanying the latest results.
- Net unrealized losses ended the second quarter at $577 million, down from $1.8 billion on March 31.
- Annuities attracted $1.1 billion in net cash inflow, and pretax annuity income increased to $94 million, from $77 million.
- Variable annuity deposits fell to $1.4 billion, from $2.1 billion. Fixed annuity deposits increased to $974 million, from $208 million. FA deposits slowed “as we continued to manage our rate offers to ensure favorable economics,” Cracchiolo says in a written version of earnings conference call talking points. “We feel comfortable with the profitability of the new business we’re writing given the changes we’re making to our products and features, as well as the success of our hedging program.”
- Strong retention rates helped increase the number of advisors 9%, to 12,500.
- The company expects to roll out a new brokerage platform early in 2010.
- The company is coping with falling revenue by “implementing expense reductions through re-engineering.”
StanCorp Financial Group Inc., Portland, Ore.
2 Q 2009 Results
NET INCOME: $56 million
NET CAPITAL LOSS ON SECURITIES: $4.5 million