NAVA has hired Lee Covington to be senior vice president and general counsel.
Covington previously was co-leader of the national insurance practice in the Washington office of Squire Sanders and Dempsey L.L.P.
Covington also has been director of the Ohio Department of Insurance. While at the department, he was a principal author of the Statement of Intent to Modernize State Insurance Regulation and the Interstate Insurance Product Compact Model Act.
NAVA, Reston, VA., also has promoted a marketing executive, Deborah Tucker, to vice president of membership, marketing and standards.
In other personnel news:
- Renaissance Life and Health Insurance Company of America, Okemos, Mich., has named Thomas Colgan to be chief operating officer.
Colgan is one of the founders of Resource Information Management Systems Inc., Naperville, Ill.
Colgan has a bachelor’s degree in nuclear science from the State University of New York/Maritime College. He served in the U.S. Navy and rose to the rank of lieutenant commander in the U.S. Merchant Marine.
- Colorado Bankers Life Insurance Company, Greenwood Village, Colo., a unit of Health Care Service Corp., Chicago, has hired Richard Bigler to be vice president of sales.
Bigler previously was the president of the Financial Producers Network division of AEGON USA, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, a unit of AEGON Inc., The Hague, Netherlands.
Bigler has a bachelor’s degree in business from Indiana University.
- American Specialty Health Inc., San Diego, has hired Dawn Garcia to be associate vice president of health plan sales.
Garcia previously was regional vice president of national account sales at CareAllies, a unit of CIGNA Corp., Philadelphia.
Garcia has a bachelor’s degree from Arizona State University.
- Medical Mutual of Ohio, Cleveland, has named Patrick Dugan chief legal officer and executive vice president.
Dugan previously was lead outside counsel to Medical Mutual’s general counsel.
Dugan has a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Bowling Green State University and a law degree from Ohio State University.
- Invescor Ltd., Farmington Hills, Mich., a life settlement support services firm, has hired Madhavi Jammalamadaka to be a senior programmer.
Jammalamadaka previously was a software developer at McCreadie Group Inc., Ann Arbor, Mich.
Jammalamadaka has a bachelor’s degree in computer science from Gulbarga University in Karnataka, India, and a master’s degree in computer science from Eastern Michigan University.