- 37%: Percent increase in securities class action filings from 2007 to 2008.
- 43%: Percentage of filings since Dec. 14, 2008 that are related to the credit crisis.
- 50%: Percentage of class action filings related to the credit crisis in 2008, compared to 20 percent in 2007.
- $7.5 million: Median amount of a settlement in 2008, compared to $9.4 million in 2007.
- 50%: Approximate percentage of filings that name a financial services company as the defendant.
- 25.3%: Percentage of suits brought for accounting-related issues.
- 41.5%: Percentage of suits brought for defects in products.
- 2: Number of suits that actually went to trial in 2007; 21 suits have gone to trial since 1996.
Source: NERA Economic Consulting