AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company has promoted Andrea Nitzan to senior vice president of expense management, from vice president of expense management.
Nitzan is in charge of budgeting and expense management at AXA Equitable, New York, a unit of AXA S.A., Paris.
Nitzan has a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Hofstra University
In other personnel news:
- Aetna Inc., Hartford, has hired Steven Kelmar to succeed Thomas Strohmenger as head of government relations.
Strohmenger is retiring.
Kelmar previously was vice president for global public affairs and policy at Merck & Company Inc., Whitehouse Station, N.J.
Kelmar has worked at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and has been a chief of staff for 2 members of Congress.
- Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, New York, has hired Richard Jones to be senior vice president and chief communications officer.
Jones previously was vice president of communications for the Americas region at GE Money, a unit of General Electric Company, Fairfield, Conn.
Jones has a bachelor’s degree in communication and a master’s degree in journalism from Ohio University.
- National Financial Partners Corp., New York, has hired Elizabeth Weber to be senior vice president, business development.
Weber previously was senior vice president, advanced markets, at the Potomac Group, Bethesda, Md.
Weber has a bachelor’s degree from St. John’s College in Maryland and a law degree from George Mason University in Virginia.
NFP also has promoted James Poer to president of NFP Securities Inc., NFP’s broker-dealer unit, from senior vice president.
Poer has a bachelor’s degree from Texas Christian University. He holds the Certified Investment Management Analyst professional designation.
NFP has promoted Stan Barton general counsel and executive vice president.
Barton has been deputy general counsel and chief compliance officer at NFP.
Barton has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan and a law degree from the University of Notre Dame.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., has hired Lorie Valle-Ya?ez to be vice president of diversity and inclusion.
Valle-Ya?ez previously worked for ESPN, Bristol, Conn.,
Valle-Ya?ez has a bachelor’s degree in organizational behavior from the University of San Francisco.
MassMutual also has promoted Tom Cremona to succeed Hugh O’Toole as division sales manager for the Northeast region.
O’Toole is now head of MassMutual’s national sales organization.
Cremona previously was second vice president of investment consulting and product management.
- PPM America Inc., Chicago, an investment advisory unit of Prudential P.L.C., London, has promoted Jim Young to chief investment officer.
Young is also the chairman of the firm’s credit approval committee.
Young previously was senior managing director in charge of the firm’s traditional private placement team.
He has a bachelor’s degree in economics and business from Wittenburg University and a master’s degree in business from Northwestern University.
- WellPoint Inc., Indianapolis, has hired Raj Bal to be president of the individual business segment.
Bal previously was chief operating officer for Assurant Health, Milwaukee, a unit of Assurant Inc., New York.
Bal has a bachelor’s degree in economics from Loyola College in India, and a master’s degree in marketing from the University of Manitoba.
He is a member of the policy committee at America’s Health Insurance Plans, Washington.
- CIGNA HealthCare, Bloomington, Conn., a unit of CIGNA Corp., Philadelphia, has hired Eugene Rapisardi to be vice president of sales and service for Southern California.
Rapisardi previously was a vice president of sales and service for PacifiCare, Cypress, Calif., a unit of UnitedHealth Group Inc., Minnetonka, Minn.
Rapisardi is a volunteer chaplain for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center in Lancaster, Calif.
- The consulting arm of Aon Corp., Chicago, has hired Mike Matsumoto to be a senior vice president in the New York office.
Matsumoto previously was president of Konica-Minolta Holdings USA Inc., Ramsey, N.J., a unit of Konica-Minolta Holdings Inc., Tokyo.
Matsumoto has a degree in civil law from Doshisha University in Kyoto, Japan.