- 33.9%: Percentage of people between 55 and 64 who owned an IRA at the end of 2005.
- 2.7%: Percentage of workers without a high school diploma who have an IRA, compared with 46.5 percent of those with a graduate degree.
- 15.4%: Percentage of people between 55 and 64 who owned both a 401(k) and an IRA.
- $5,369: Average annual earnings within an IRA for people between the ages of 55 and 64.
- 631,481: Number of defined contribution plans in 2005, compared with 436,207 401(k) plans.
- 62.3 million: Number of people participating in defined contribution plans, compared with 54.6 million 401(k) participants.
- $2,807,590: Amount of assets invested in defined contribution plans, compared with $2,395,792 invested in 401(k) plans.