LMC Capital L.L.C. has hired Patrick Vaughn to be the managing director in charge of its mergers and acquisitions practice for insurance technology and services companies.
Vaughn previously was a managing director and head of the technology M&A practice at Triarch Partners L.L.C., Charlotte, N.C., an investment bank, according to LMC, Charlotte.
Vaughn has a bachelor’s degree in mathematics and computer science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a master’s degree in business administration from the University of Michigan.
In other personnel news:
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., says Elaine Sarsynski, an executive vice president, will take over as head of the retirement services division.
Fred Castellani, the executive vice president now in charge of the division, plans to retire at the end of February.
Castellani has been running the division since 2001.
- FBL Financial Group Inc., West Des Moines, Iowa, says JoAnn Rumelhart, an executive vice president at Farm Bureau Life Insurance Company, will retire July 1 after 30 years with the company.
Rumelhart, who has been an executive vice president since 2000, has been a member of the executive development committee task force at LIMRA International, Windsor, Conn. She also serves on the board of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Iowa.
Richard Kypta, who is senior vice president, general counsel and secretary, will assume responsibility for managing Farm Bureau Life.
Kypta began working for FBL in August 2007, after spending 13 years at a U.S. unit of Aviva P.L.C., London.
Kypta has a bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University, a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University and a law degree from the University of Maryland.
- Hartford Financial Services Group Inc., Hartford, has hired Peter Smyth to be senior vice president and director of strategy, development and operations for international wealth management at its Simsbury, Conn., life unit.
Smyth also is in charge of a joint venture in Brazil that sells life insurance, retirement and savings products.
Smyth, who will work in Simsbury, previously managed operations in Australia, Hong Kong, India, Korea, New Zealand, Pakistan, Taiwan and Thailand for ING Asia Pacific, a unit of ING Groep N.V., Amsterdam.
Smyth has a bachelor’s degree in actuarial studies from Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia. He is a fellow of the Institute of Actuaries, London.
- Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind., has hired Todd Hacker to be senior vice president and treasurer.
Hacker previously was the treasurer at YRC Worldwide Inc., Overland Park, Kan.
Hacker has a bachelor’s degree in finance from Indiana University, and a master’s degree in business from DePaul University
- Robert Armstrong is now the managing partner of an independent office in Portland, Ore., that is affiliated with John Hancock Financial Network, Boston, a unit of Manulife Financial Corp., Toronto.
Armstrong previously was a field manager in the Lake Oswego, Ore., office of Beneficial Financial Group, Salt Lake City.
Armstrong has a bachelor’s degree from Florida State University. He is on the board of the Portland chapter of the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors and is a founding member of the newly formed Portland Chapter of Women in Insurance and Financial Services.
- National Planning Holdings Inc., Santa Monica, Calif., has promoted Maura Collins to chief financial officer of the NPH network, from senior vice president, and Vanessa Rodriguez to vice president and controller of NPH, from assistant controller.
Collins has a bachelor’s degree from the University of California Santa Barbara, and Rodriguez has a bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Los Angeles.
NPH is a unit of Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing, Mich., which is a unit of Prudential P.L.C., London.
- Delta Dental of Michigan, Ohio and Indiana, Okemos, Mich., has hired Michael Clark to be market president of its Delta Dental of Ohio unit.
Clark previously was a senior benefits consultant at Chas. G. Haake & Sons Inc., Overland Park, Kans.
Clark has a bachelor’s degree in industrial and systems engineering from Ohio State University.
- WellPoint Inc., Indianapolis, has named Brian Sassi president and chief executive officer of the company’s consumer business unit, which includes the individual, senior and Medicaid operations.
Sassi previously was president of another WellPoint unit, Blue Cross of California.
He succeeds Joan Herman, who is retiring.
WellPoint has hired Leslie Margolin to succeed Sassi.
Margolin, who will be president and general manager of Blue Cross of California, previously was senior vice president for health plan and hospital operations at Kaiser Permanente’s integrated delivery systems.
- Craford Inc., San Rafael, Calif., a benefits consulting firm, has hired Dianna Wilusz to be managing director of private equity services and Jill Madison to be managing director of consulting services.
Wilusz previously was managing director of human resources operations at Lam Research Corp., Fremont, Calif.
Madison was a worldwide partner in the San Francisco office of Mercer Human Resources Consulting.