Assurant Inc. has promoted Christopher Pagano to executive vice president and treasurer, and it has promoted Miles Yakre to senior vice president and chief actuary at Assurant Employee Benefits.
Pagano has been president and chief investment officer at Assurant Asset Management, and he will keep that title, according to Assurant, New York.
Pagano has a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Pennsylvania and a master’s degree in business from the University of Chicago.
Pagano holds the Chartered Financial Analyst professional designation.
Yakre previously was corporate actuary and treasurer for Assurant.
Yakre has a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Pennsylvania. He is a fellow of the Society of Actuaries and a fellow of the Life Management Institute.
In other personnel news:
- FBL Financial Group Inc., West Des Moines, Iowa, has hired Richard Kypta to be general counsel.
Kypta will succeed Stephen Morain, who is retiring from FBL after serving as general counsel for the company since 1982.
Kypta previously was chief operating officer at Aviva USA Corp., a unit of Aviva P.L.C., London.
Kypta has a bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University, a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University and a law degree from the University of Maryland.
Kypta holds the Certified Public Accountant professional designation and is a fellow of the Life Management Institute.
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., has hired Shelby Hollister to be vice president and chief life underwriter for the company’s U.S. insurance group.
Hollister previously served as underwriting director at Hartford Life, a unit of Hartford Financial Services Group Inc., Hartford.
Hollister has a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Mary Washington. She is a fellow of the Academy of Life Underwriting and a fellow of the Life Management Institute.
- Aetna Inc., Hartford, has hired Jeffrey Chaffkin to be the vice president in charge of investor relations.
Chaffkin previously was the general partner responsible for recommending health care investments at Charter Oak Partners, Westport, Conn., an equity hedge fund.
Chaffkin worked for Aetna from 1986 to 1996 and was chief financial officer of the health business unit of Aetna health plans when he left.
Chaffkin has a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Pennsylvania and a master’s degree in business from the university.
- AIG Employee Benefit Solutions, Houston, a unit of American International Group Inc., New York, has hired John Kohanek to be vice president of product development for dental and vision.
Kohanek has a bachelor’s degree in business from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln.
He holds the Chartered Life Underwriter professional designation, the Registered Health Underwriter designation and other designations.
AIG Employee Benefit Solutions also has hired Clay Yokota to be vice president of the West region for the employee benefits division.
Yokota previously was a vice president of sales at Pacific Life & Annuity, Newport Beach, Calif.
Yokota has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Hawaii.
- Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind., has hired Brian Millsap to be vice president of product management for long-term care.
Millsap previously was an associate actuary in the Chicago office of Milliman Inc.
Millsap has a bachelor’s degree in business from Drake University.
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan L.L.P., Atlanta, says B. Scott Burton has joined the law firm as a partner and William Hope II has joined the firm as counsel.
Burton previously was corporate general counsel at ING America Insurance Holdings Inc., Atlanta, a unit of ING Groep N.V., Amsterdam.
Hope was a vice president for corporate legal at ING Investment Management Americas, another ING unit. From 1984 to 2000, Hope practiced law in Tokyo.