New York Life Insurance Company has promoted Gary Scofield to senior vice president and chief actuary, from actuary in the individual life department.
Scofield has a bachelor’s degree from the State University of New York at Oswego.
Scofield is a member of the board of Save-A-Pet Animal Rescue Inc., Port Jefferson Station, N.Y.
In other personnel news:
- Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing, Mich., a unit of Prudential P.L.C., London, has promoted Jim Binder to senior vice president and treasurer, from vice president of finance and corporate strategy.
Binder has a bachelor’s degree in business from Aquinas College. He holds the Certified Public Accountant professional designation.
- Old Mutual Financial Network, Baltimore, has hired Eric Marhoun to be senior vice president and general counsel.
Marhoun previously was of counsel at Lord, Bissell & Brook L.L.P., Atlanta.
Marhoun has a bachelor’s degree in business from the College of St. Thomas and a law degree from DePaul University.
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company, Omaha, Neb., has hired Martin Traynor to be vice president of its voluntary services area.
Traynor previously was vice president of voluntary benefit services at Trustmark Insurance Company, Lake Forest, Ill.
Traynor has a bachelor’s degree in political science from LeMoyne College. He holds the Certified Life Underwriter and Fellow of the Life Management Institute professional designations.
Traynor is a trustee on the South Milwaukee Public Library board
- The retirement income unit at Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., has hired Douglas Russell to be senior vice president, chief operating officer and chief financial officer for the unit.
Russell previously was senior vice president and head of client services at the Prudential Retirement arm of Prudential Financial Inc., Newark, N.J.
Russell also spent 3 years in Manila running Aetna Philippines.
Russell has a bachelor’s degree from Brown University and a master’s degree in business from Dartmouth College.
- The Hartford-based U.S. Insurance Group arm of ING Groep N.V., Amsterdam, has hired Rick Niu to be executive vice president and chief growth officer.
Niu previously was head of corporate multicultural marketing at American International Group Inc., New York.
Niu has a bachelor’s degree from Tsinghua University in Beijing and a master’s degree in business administration from Columbia University. He holds the Chartered Life Underwriter professional designation.
- Scottish Re Group Ltd., Hamilton, Bermuda, has picked Duncan Hayward to be interim chief accounting officer.
Hayward previously was chief financial officer of Scottish Re’s international segment.
Scottish Re also has announced the departure of Nathan Gemmiti, the company’s general counsel. Gemmiti has been the company’s general counsel since August 2006.
- The National Conference of Insurance Legislators, Troy, N.Y., has promoted Michael Humphreys to be director of state-federal relations.
Humphreys previously was director of legislative affairs and education for the NCOIL Health, Life, and Workers’ Compensation Insurance Committees since January 2006.
Humphreys also has worked as a research assistant at The Heritage Foundation, Washington, and as an intern at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.