John Hancock Financial Services has promoted Marc Costantini to president of the variable annuities business.
Costantini will succeed Hugh McHaffie, who now is president of the John Hancock wealth management unit, according to John Hancock, Boston, a unit of Manulife Financial Corp., Toronto.
Costantini previously was chief financial officer at John Hancock Financial Services.
Costantini has a bachelor’s degree in actuarial science from the University of Concordia.
In other personnel news:
- The AIG Advisor Group, a broker-dealer network unit of American International Group Inc., New York, has hired James Seppala to be senior vice president of strategic project management.
Seppala previously was chief operating officer and chief financial officer at Harmoney Financial L.L.C., Boston.
Seppala has a bachelor’s degree in physics from McGill University, a master’s degree in electrical engineering from Tufts University and a master’s degree in business from the University of Pennsylvania.
Seppala started out as a staff scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
- Transamerica Reinsurance, Charlotte, N.C., a unit of AEGON N.V., The Hague, Netherlands, has hired Dr. Steven Zimmerman to be vice president and chief medical officer for its U.S. life reinsurance business.
Zimmerman previously was medical director at American General Life Cos., Houston, a unit of AIG. He also has been the medical policy issues director at the American Council of Life Insurers, Washington.
Zimmerman has a bachelor’s degree in chemistry and a medical degree from Cornell University. He completed an internship and residency in internal medicine at the University of Virginia and a medical oncology fellowship at a cancer center affiliated with Georgetown University.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Jacksonville, Fla., has promoted Barbara Benevento to be president of its Comp Options unit and segment team leader for its Life and Specialty Ventures L.L.C. unit.
Benevento will oversee Florida Blue’s life insurance, specialty insurance and workers’ compensation operations.
She previously was group vice president for consumer sales and local presence.
Benevento has a bachelor’s degree in business and English from Mount St. Mary College.
- Independence Blue Cross, Philadelphia, has hired Lawrence Kissner to be vice president of marketing and sales for large markets.
Kissner previously was president of UnitedHealthcare of Kentucky Ltd., a unit of UnitedHealth Group Inc., Minnetonka, Minn. He was president of the Kentucky Association of Health Plans, Frankfort, Ky.
Kissner has a bachelor’s degree in business from the University of Notre Dame, where he competed on the football and wrestling teams.
- The American College, Bryn Mawr, Pa., has hired Eileen McDonnell to be the first State Farm chair in women and financial services.
McDonnell is a former president of New England Financial, a unit of MetLife Inc., New York.