Allianz A.G. has picked Gary Bhojwani to be chief executive of Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America.
Bhojwani previously was president of the commercial business division at an Allianz Life sister company, Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company, Novato, Calif.
Allianz Life, Minneapolis, and Fireman’s Fund are both subsidiaries of Allianz, Munich.
Bhojwani’s division at Fireman’s Fund generates $1.8 billion in annual premium volume by selling property-casualty coverage to small and midsize U.S. businesses, according to Allianz.
Bhojwani has a bachelor’s degree in actuarial science from the University of Illinois and a master’s degree in finance and marketing from the University of Chicago.
In other personnel news:
- A unit of AXA S.A., Paris, has chosen James Mullery to be president of a new AXA global sub-advisory group, an affiliate of AX Equitable Life Insurance Company, New York.
The new division is supposed to strengthen sub-advisory services at all AXA businesses around the world, according to AXA.
Mullery previously was chief operating officer of AXA Distributors L.L.C., the wholesale distribution arm for the New York operations.
Mullery has a bachelor’s degree in history from the University of Scranton.
- National Investment Managers Inc., New York, has hired John Davis to be chief financial officer.
National Investment is a retirement plan administration and investment management company that is buying many small retirement services firms.
Davis previously was president of private-sector retirement plans at Nationwide Financial Services Inc., Columbus, Ohio.
Davis has a bachelor’s degree in accounting and computer science from Ohio State University.
- CIGNA Corp., Philadelphia, has hired William Hoagland to lead a new CIGNA public policy group.
Hoagland has worked for 4 years as a policy advisor and budget aide to Sen. William Frist, R-Tenn.
Hoagland has been working on Capitol Hill since 1975, when he started as an economist in the Congressional Budget Office.
Hoagland attended the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. He has a bachelor’s degree in agricultural economics from Purdue University.
- Distribution units of Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing, Mich., have hired 1 executive and promoted 3.
INVEST Financial Corp., Tampa, Fla., has hired Connie Gregory to be senior vice president of institutional business development for the firm’s financial institution channel. She previously was senior vice president of business development at Independent Financial Marketing Group Inc., Purchase, N.Y., a unit of Sun Life Financial Inc., Toronto.
Another Jackson National subsidiary, National Planning Corp., Santa Monica, Calif., has promoted Sean Haley to first vice president and chief compliance officer, Bryan Jacobsen to vice president of compliance and Austin Moon to vice president of recruiting.
Haley has been a vice president at the company, Jacobsen an assistant vice president of compliance, and Moon a recruiter.
- Fort Dearborn Life Insurance Company, Chicago, a unit of Health Care Service Corp., Chicago, has hired Ken DiFrancesca to be vice president for retirement and individual products.
DiFrancesca previously was corporate vice president at Bankers Life and Casualty Company, Chicago, a unit of Conseco Inc., Carmel, Ind.
DeFrancesca has a bachelor’s degree in business education from the University of Illinois.
- ULLICO Inc., Washington, has hired Gary Amelio to be president of its retirement services operation.
Amelio previously was executive director of the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, the manager of the federal employees’ defined contribution plan.
Amelio has a bachelor’s degree and a law degree from the University of Pittsburgh. He has served on the employee benefits flexible compensation subcommittee of the American Bar Association, Chicago.
- Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif., has hired Mitch Ross to be vice president of individual and family plans.
Ross previously was vice president for sales distribution at Blue Shield of California, San Francisco.
Ross has a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of California, Irvine, and a master’s degree in business from the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Baltimore Life Insurance Company, Owings Mills, Md., has hired John Fleming to be senior vice president and chief marketing officer.
Fleming previously was senior vice president of operations at Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York, a unit of Allianz A.G., Munich.
Fleming has a bachelor’s degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University.
- New York Life Insurance Company, New York, has promoted Alexander Burbatsky to senior vice president in the corporation information department, from first vice president.
Burbatsky has a bachelor’s degree from the College of Industrial Engineering in Ukraine.