Hal Harris, the new head of Minnesota Life Distributors, is redrawing territories, changing compensation plans for internal and external wholesalers, and hiring new wholesalers in effort to expand individual annuity sales.
Minnesota Life Distributions is a distribution arm of Securian Financial Group, a unit of Minnesota Mutual Insurance Company, St. Paul, Minn.
Harris, who is national annuity sales vice president at Securian as well as the manager of the distribution operation, has structured the staff so that each territory team includes an external wholesaler who travels the territory and an internal wholesaler who provides support back in St. Paul, according to Securian.
For the South Central territory, the external wholesaler is Brian Soukup, who previously worked for Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Minneapolis, a unit of Allianz A.G., Munich. The internal wholesaler is Tim Meyer, who has been an internal annuity wholesaler at Renaissance Annuity Group L.L.C., New Hope, Minn.
For the Great Lakes territory, the external wholesaler is Jeremy Jackson, who has been a Securian internal wholesaler. The internal wholesaler is Jane Welsh, who was responsible for internal business development at AEI Fund Management Inc., St. Paul.
For the Mid-Atlantic territory, the external wholesaler is Steve Krammes, who has been an external wholesaler at Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing, Mich., a unit of Prudential P.L.C., London. The internal wholesaler is Marie Rixe, who has been a business owner.
For the Southeast territory, the external wholesaler is Tom Michaud, who was a regional vice president at Allianz Life. The internal wholesaler is Julie Bjornstad, who has been an associate at Securian.
In other personnel news:
- Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, Springfield, Mass., has hired John Chandler to be a senior vice president and chief marketing officer for its U.S. Insurance Group.
Chandler previously was chief marketing officer at Hanover Insurance Group Inc., Worcester, Mass.
Chandler has a bachelor’s degree from Trinity College and a master’s degree in business administration from Dartmouth College.
- Hartford Financial Services Group Inc., Hartford, has promoted John Gallant to vice president of the service operations area at its group benefits division.
Gallant, who has been an assistant vice president at the company, was in charge of the effort to integrate the underwriting of the Hartford group benefits division with the underwriting for the operations that Hartford acquired from CNA Financial Corp., Chicago.
Gallant has a bachelor’s degree in finance from the University of Connecticut and a master’s degree in economics from the University of Hartford.
- The American College, Bryn Mawr, Pa., has hired Keith Hickerson to be vice president of marketing communications and research.
Hickerson previously was vice president of corporate marketing at UnumProvident Corp., Chattanooga, Tenn.
Hickerson has a bachelor’s degree from Duke University.
- New York Life Insurance Company, New York, has promoted Sara Badler to first vice president and deputy general counsel.
Badler has a bachelor’s degree from Cornell University, a master’s degree in education from Bank Street College of Education, and a law degree from Fordham University.
New York Life also has promoted Dennis Gagnon and Robert Rosh to vice president and associate general counsel.
- 1 800 Gift Certificate L.L.C., Carlstadt, N.J., which does business as IncentOne, has hired Susan Lewis to be senior vice president for health and productivity solutions.
Lewis previously was vice president of strategic business development at the Optum unit at United Health Group Inc., Minnetonka, Minn.
- TMG Health Inc., King of Prussia, Pa., a company that sells business processing services to Medicare and Medicaid managed care plans, has hired Alan Vinick to be chief financial officer.