with a client . . .
- Be open to evaluating its effect on your work performance
- Be sensitive to its impact on your relationships with others at work
- Be willing to talk about it with a trusted professional or friend
- Refer your client to another advisor, preferably not in your firm
- Assume that your ability to think clearly is intact
- Insist that this is your own private business with no effect on anyone else
- Sneak around and try to keep it a secret (you won’t succeed)
- Make yourself a beneficiary in their will (don’t even think about it!)
with a colleague . . .