According to the Forum of Regional Associates of Grantmakers (www.givingforum.org), the top 10 reasons why you should discuss philanthropy with your clients are:
1) Its good for society, its good for your clients, its good for your business, and its good for you;
2) Youd be surprised how many of your clients are searching for a way to give back to society, to memorialize a loved one, or simply to do good;
3) Discussing philanthropy with your clients can be done unobtrusively, in a way that respects their privacy, values, and autonomy;
4) It expands the menu of services available to your clients, thereby increasing their level of satisfaction with you and your services;
5) It adds to your areas of expertise as a professional advisor;
6) It increases the potential for new referrals and thus, opens the door to many new clients;
7) It marries your chosen profession with your desire to do something good for the world;
8) It helps address important social needs and helps make your community a healthier, more vibrant place to livea real legacy for future generations;
9) It puts you in touch with a supportive network of new colleagues who are willing to share their time and expertise; and,
10) Its easy to do.
Reproduced from National Underwriter Life & Health/Financial Services Edition, November 26, 2003. Copyright 2003 by The National Underwriter Company in the serial publication. All rights reserved.Copyright in this article as an independent work may be held by the author.