NU Online News Service, June 5, 11:33 a.m. – The American Association of Health Plans, Washington, has released a five-point federal legislative wish list.
Congress has to start by adding a prescription drug benefit to Medicare and saving the Medicare health maintenance organization program, AAHP says.
After that, AAHP says, Congress should:
- Apply rigorous scientific scrutiny to new, mandated benefits, to ensure that the benefits justify the costs.
- Provide access to affordable coverage for the uninsured.
- Rein in medical malpractice suits.
- Strengthen the ability of private health carriers to work with Medicare and Medicaid.
- Preserve the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act (which limits suits against health carriers) and promote uniformity in state insurance laws and regulatory systems.