Close Close
Popular Financial Topics Discover relevant content from across the suite of ALM legal publications From the Industry More content from ThinkAdvisor and select sponsors Investment Advisor Issue Gallery Read digital editions of Investment Advisor Magazine Tax Facts Get clear, current, and reliable answers to pressing tax questions
Luminaries Awards

Life Health > Health Insurance

The president's health reform hijinks

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

As we’ve noted time and again, the 45 million uninsured figure is a gross exaggeration, an over-inflation to suit a (pre-existing) political agenda. The real number of the uninsureds in America, not of their own choice, is closer to 13 million or 4 percent of the population. As has been suggested by many opposed to the president’s plan, take some of the unspent stimulus money and cover the 4 percent, rather than increasing costs and lowering quality for the other 96 percent (make no mistake, that is exactly what will happen). It’s not as if the money isn’t there. Examples of stimulus fraud, misappropriated funds and outright incompetence are all over the place. As The Wall Street Journal‘s James Taranto helpfully relates:

“About two-thirds of the 14,506 jobs claimed to be saved under one federal office actually weren’t saved at all, according to a review of the latest data by The Associated Press. Instead, that figure includes more than 9,300 existing employees who received pay raises and benefits and whose jobs weren’t saved.

“Officials defended the practice of counting raises as saved jobs.

“‘If I give you a raise, it is going to save a portion of your job,’ HHS spokesman Luis Rosero said.”

We’ve seen the lines and chronic shortages for H1N1 vaccines. We saw the response to Hurricane Katrina. If the administration gets its way, these are the people that will soon be in charge of your health care. Sleep well tonight.


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.