Morningstar says it has raised its ratings on eight funds, downgraded ratings for seven funds and affirmed ratings for 95 funds and two target-date series in August.
It also affirmed ratings on 95 funds, as well as two target-date series.
The Morningstar Analyst Ratings represent analysts’ views that a fund can outperform its peers on a risk-adjusted basis over the long term. The five-tiered, qualitative scale has three positive levels — Gold, Silver and Bronze — as well as neutral and negative ratings.
As of Aug. 31, 138 U.S. funds have a Gold rating, 334 have a Silver rating, and 546 funds have a Bronze rating.
A large number of funds, 603, are rated Neutral, with only 11 receiving a Negative rating.
Funds with a Medalist rating now represent about 6% of unique mutual funds available for sale in the United States, but 59% of assets under management, as tracked by the research group. Its analysts rate some $10.5 trillion of U.S. investor assets overall, or roughly 67% of total investor assets.
Read on for more details on Morningstar’s August 2017 updates.
- Artisan High Income (Bronze from Neutral)
- Eaton Vance Multi-Sector Income (Neutral from Negative)
- iShares S&P 500 Index (Bronze from Neutral)
- John Hancock Funds International Growth (Bronze from Neutral)
- Lazard Global Listed Infrastructure (Silver from Bronze)
- PIMCO Mortgage Opportunities (Silver from Bronze)
- T. Rowe Price International Stock (Bronze from Neutral)
- Thornburg Limited Term Income (Bronze from Neutral)
- Driehaus Active Income (Neutral from Bronze)
- Fidelity Small Cap Stock (Neutral from Bronze)
- Neuberger Berman Mid-Cap Growth (Neutral from Bronze)
- Browne Value (Bronze from Silver)
- Tweedy, Browne Global Value (Bronze from Silver)
- Tweedy, Browne Worldwide High Dividend Yield Value (Bronze from Silver)
- Vanguard Windsor II (Neutral from Bronze)
Funds with new Morningstar ratings, include these Silver-rated funds:
- Fidelity Advisor Health Care
- Fidelity Select Health Care
- John Hancock Funds Disciplined Value Mid Cap
- SPDR Bloomberg Barclays Intermediate Term Corporate Bond ETF
- Vanguard Intermediate-Term Bond Index
- Vanguard Intermediate-Term Corporate Bond Index
- Vanguard Long-Term Bond Index
- Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index
- Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index
- Voya Intermediate Bond
Funds with affirmed Morningstar ratings, include these Gold-rated funds:
- American Funds American Mutual
- American Funds New Economy
- DFA US Large Company
- Fidelity 500 Index
- Fidelity Four-in-One Index
- Fidelity Total Market Index
- iShares Core S&P 500 ETF
- iShares Core S&P Total US Stock Market ETF
- Primecap Odyssey Aggressive Growth
- Primecap Odyssey Growth
- Primecap Odyssey Stock
- Schwab Total Stock Market Index
- Schwab US Broad Market ETF
- Schwab US Large-Cap ETF
- Schwab S&P 500 Index
- Vanguard Capital Opportunity
- Vanguard Large-Cap ETF
- Vanguard Primecap Core
- Vanguard Primecap
- Vanguard Tax-Managed Balanced
- Vanguard Tax-Managed Small Cap
— Check out 7 Top Online Brokerages: Kiplinger on ThinkAdvisor.