Close Close
Popular Financial Topics Discover relevant content from across the suite of ALM legal publications From the Industry More content from ThinkAdvisor and select sponsors Investment Advisor Issue Gallery Read digital editions of Investment Advisor Magazine Tax Facts Get clear, current, and reliable answers to pressing tax questions
Luminaries Awards

Financial Planning > Tax Planning

Gift Taxes and Paying for College

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Gifts to a Uniform Transfer to Minors Account (UTMA) or the older Uniform Gifts to Minors Act (UGMA; now available just in South Carolina) qualify for the federal gift tax annual exclusion. In 2016, the exclusion amount is $14,000 per recipient or $28,000 per recipient if a married couple splits the gift.

This series on options to tax-efficiently pay for college expenses assumes that a student’s parents are not required to pay for their child’s educational expenses beyond age 18. However, in states where parents are obligated beyond age 18, the parent’s payments will not be subject to federal gift tax, even if they do not fall under the exemptions described.


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.