Q. I’m having trouble closing the sale. Is there a way that I can drop hints throughout the presentation to make it easier to close at the end.
A. It’s easier to close when you have “seeded” the conversation. By that, I mean using some key phrases throughout the presentation so that when you ask for the sale, it seems like the logical conclusion.
I learned some excellent phrases from Rich Horowitz, head of business development for ACSIA. I carry them in my briefcase and even have an extra copy in the glove compartment of my car so I can review the list on the way to an appointment.
Here are the phrases that Rich provided:
- I’m assuming that you are starting to realize that for the risk we are talking about specific to your situation, it probably does not make sense to use your own money to pay for these costs. Do you agree with that?
- Based on our conversation, are you starting to realize that having a formal plan is a good fit for you? Do you agree?
- Based on our conversation, from a financial standpoint, this is something that absolutely makes sense. Based on what you have shared with me, I believe that not having a plan is going to potentially end up costing you significantly more money down the road than having a plan.
- I know we can come up with a budget based on what you have shared with me financially that you are comfortable with.
- Before we talk about cost, do you like the idea of having one of these plans? Do you think this is a good idea for yourself? Do you like the idea of knowing you have protected yourself?
- Do you think this is a good fit based on what we know so far? (Say this several times.)
- A lot of people in your age group ask the same question – or have the same concerns as you. You are not alone in this.
- We have spent some time together here. We are going to pull up a plan and play around with some of the choices that we have already discussed. But I’m confident that this, No. 1, this is something very appropriate for to you. And, No. 2, we will find a budget that you are comfortable with. But the big picture for you though is do you like planning ahead and having a formal long term health care plan versus not.
- Based on what you have told me, here is what I would recommend and why. You have other income streams, so we could probably get away from a little less – if you are open to it.
Some of the phrases he frequently uses are “based on what you have told me,” “because of your situation,” and “folks in this area and most people your age shared the same concern.”