In these uncertain financial times, it is more important than ever that you work smart and maximize your long-term care insurance (LTCI) selling opportunities.
As such, having a good field marketing organization (FMO) behind you to handle “the details” can be critical.
If you want to get the most out of your relationship, here are a few simple hints designed to help you get the best service from your FMO.
- Stay calm. Remember the adage “You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar”? It’s true. You’re under pressure, and you need help immediately, but a pleasant tone will make everything go more smoothly.
- As much as possible, give reasonable lead time. FMOs understand that agents are busy and sometimes face emergencies, but, if every call is about an “emergency situation,” that might cause problems.
- Complete all forms. This goes for contracting as well as new business applications. If there is a box to be checked, check it. If there is a question, answer it. If I had to guess, I’d say 95% of the applications that come through our office are incomplete. Incomplete applications will be delayed. You’re not happy when they are delayed, we’re not happy and the client is not happy.
- Go digital. The world is moving into the paperless-electronic age. Even faxes are outdated. Some carriers actually charge to cut paper commission checks now, and it won’t be long before they charge for paper supplies as well. Paper rate charts, underwriting guides, agent training kits are all quickly becoming relics. Make sure you don’t become one, too.
- Keep your continuing education (CE) hours up-to-date. If your CE isn’t up to date you can’t take an application. If you do take an application, the carrier will not accept it and will require a new application with a new date. This is a compliance issue, and an insurance company cannot make any exceptions. We are just as unhappy as you are when this happens.
- Have you asked your Medicare plan clients about STC?
- Short-Term Care Policies: Who’s Got ‘Em?
- The Short Term Care Revolution