Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts has hired Bruce Bullen to be chief operating officer.
Bullen was the chief operating officer of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, Wellesley, Mass., from 1999 to 2009 and interim chief executive officer there from 2009 to 2010.
Bullen will arrive at Massachusetts Blue Jan. 11, 2011, according to Massachusetts Blue, Boston.
In other personnel news:
- Corporate Synergies Group Inc., Mount Laurel, N.J., a benefits firm, has picked John Turner to be chief executive officer.
Pantelis Georgiadis will continue to be chairman.
Turner previously was a senior vice president in the health services division at Connextions Inc., Orlando, Fla., a health insurance marketing firm.
Turner has a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in public administration from Kean University in New Jersey and a master’s degree in business from Regis University.
- Unum Group Corp., Chattanooga, Tenn. (NYSE:UNM) has hired Martin McGuinness to be vice president of government affairs.
McGuinness, who will be based in Washington, previously was vice president of federal affairs at the American Insurance Association, Washington.
He also has been one of President George W. Bush’s liaisons to the U.S. House of Representatives.
McGuinness has a bachelor’s degree in political science from George Mason University and a master’s degree in legislative affairs from George Washington University.
- Equity Risk Partners-Texas, Dallas, a joint venture that will sell insurance and benefits to private equity firms, has hired Michael Viracola to be director of business development.
Viracola, a former professional football player, previously was a managing partner at Pepperwood Partners L.L.C., Dallas.
Viracola has a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in business from the University of Notre Dame.
- NewOak Capital L.L.C., New York, has hired Rachel Gould to be general counsel.
Gould previously was a lawyer at Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott L.L.C., Boston.
- Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Golden Valley, Minn., a unit of Allianz S.E., Munich, Germany, has promoted Bob Densmore to senior vice president – national sales manager.
Densmore previously was a district director for the Midwest District.
- WellPoint Inc., Indianapolis (NYSE:WLP), has named Douglas Wenners senior vice president for provider engagement and contracting. He has been president of WellPoint’s plan in New Hampshire.
Wenners will succeed Bob McIntire, who is retiring.
Wenners has a bachelor’s degree from Boston College, a law degree from Suffolk University, and a master’s degree in evaluative clinical sciences from Dartmouth College.
- ACSIA Long Term Care Inc., Fort Myers, Fla., has hired Harry Crosby to be director of new agent growth and development.