The system needs to be reformed, no one has argued against that. At the same time let us keep it real. The undeniable fact of the matter is, does Tylenol in a hospital cost $12 a pill because health insurance premiums are high or are health insurance premiums high because Tylenol in a hospital costs $12 a pill?
Yes the insurance industry needs reform, however the premiums of health insurance merely reflect the cost of medical care. Health care reform ought to reform the whole system not just the insurance. This is putting the cart before the horse, or better yet untying the horse, shooting it in the head and burning the cart.
Also people talk about people being healthier in other countries, maybe it is not because of the health care system but the fact that they eat much less, eat better, walk more, do not have anywhere near as many preservatives in their food, use as many artificial enhancers and so forth. Having a universal health care system in this country is not going to stop people from eating fast food, which has absolutely no nutrients, vitamins or anti-oxidants. It will not reduce the number of diabetics. You want better health take personal responsibility for yourself, eat better and exercise more. This is not rocket science. You are what you eat.
If anything we need more nutritionists and physical trainers rather than picking on doctors and insurance companies. The food companies need to give us something other than a day’s worth of salt in every bite of food. Health care will not improve until we make better decisions.
Blaming poor health on the insurance companies is just trying to find a scapegoat. Reform should focus on:
- Cost of medical school. Many doctors have hundreds of thousands in debt from medical school.
- Tort reform. Doctors can pay $30,000 to $120,000 on malpractice insurance.
- Food industry. We eat too much junk food, we need to educate against this.
- Personal responsibility for diet and exercise.
- Health insurance. Pre-existing conditions.
- Finance industry. Investments from insurance companies need better scrutiny and oversight, Madoff, etc.
- Mandates. Some places make insurance companies cover Viagra and hair replacement therapy … (if you want better circulation in your sex organs, buy a pair of running shoes; if you are so vain that you cannot lose your hair as you get older … grow up.) Because of all these reasons and many more, our system has to cost as much as it does.