Retaining the employer-based, private health insurance system remains the priority for health insurance agents as the Senate continues what is expected to be a lengthy debate over health care reform legislation.
Officials of the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors/AHIA and the American Academy of Actuaries said that covering the uninsured should not come at the cost of making the current employer-based system unaffordable.
And for health insurance companies, the legislation proposed by Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., Senate majority leader, won’t serve to cut health care costs, say officials of America’s Health Insurance Plans.
“For six months, Washington has focused on health insurance plans’ administrative costs and profits, which account for 4.1% of national health expenditures, now is the time for Congress to focus on the remaining 95.9% of expenditures,” said Karen Ignagni, AHIP president and CEO.
“Pilot programs and timid steps to reform the delivery system are inadequate given the scope of the cost challenge the nation faces,” she said. “Without a roadmap for measurable cost savings across the entire system, health costs will continue to weigh down the economy and place a crushing burden on employers and families.”
Besides a so-called “public plan” which the industry regards as a non-starter, the legislation also contains provisions creating a long term care entitlement, as well as cuts in the Medicare Advantage program.
The Senate bill’s cuts in the Medicare Advantage program are not as steep as those proposed in companion legislation passed by the House on Nov. 7.
Moreover, the Senate bill contains no provision dealing with antitrust issues, as does the House bill. But, industry lobbyists cautioned that S. 1681, the Senate bill that would repeal the antitrust exemption afforded to health insurers under the McCarran-Ferguson Act, is likely to be introduced during the lengthy debate on the Senate bill.
At press time, in fact, Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, announced that he would introduce the McCarran repeal as an amendment to the Senate health bill.
Specifically, the bill, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, is in the nature of a substitute to H.R. 3590, healthcare reform legislation passed by the House on Nov. 7.
Debate in the Senate began on Nov. 30. Reid launched the debate by saying that he will do everything he can to ensure the legislation passes through the Senate by Christmas.
He said the Senate could face late-night and full-weekend sessions to pass the overhaul. Reid spokesman, Rodell Mollineau, followed up by saying that Senate Democrats are “100 percent committed to getting this done by Christmas, no ifs, ands or buts.”
As the debate began, the Congressional Budget Office released a report suggesting that Senate bill could increase the cost of coverage for some U.S. residents who buy individual health coverage without help from subsidies.
However, for people receiving subsidies, the average nongroup premium would decrease 56% to 59%, CBO director Douglas Elmendorf said.