The Internal Revenue Service has named Stephen Larson acting associate chief counsel for financial institutions and products.
Larson, who will oversee interpretations and enforcement actions involving insurers and other financial institutions, is succeeding Lon Smith, who is now the IRS national counsel to the chief counsel for special projects.
Larson has been senior advisor to the assistant secretary in the Treasury Department’s Office of Tax Policy.
Before joining the Treasury Department, Larson was general counsel for special projects at CSX Corp., Jacksonville, Fla.
Larson has a bachelor’s degree from the College of William & Mary and a law degree from Columbia University. He also has a master’s degree in law and taxation from William & Mary.
In other personnel news:
- Prudential Financial Inc., Newark, N.J., has named Christine Marcks president of the Prudential Retirement unit.
Marcks has been running the company’s personal retirement services and retirement income businesses.
She succeeds John Kim, who has resigned.
Marcks has a bachelor’s degree in foreign affairs from Assumption College and a master’s degree in economics from Georgetown University.
- Assurant Inc., New York, is promoting Mark Bohen to senior vice president of marketing.
Bohen has been a senior vice president for marketing and customer relations at Assurant Employee Benefits, Kansas City, Mo.
Bohen is the former chair of the group insurance marketing committee at the Life Insurance Market Research Association, Windsor, Conn. He now serves on the board of CommunityLINC, Kansas City, a nonprofit organization that aids homeless families.
- VantisLife Insurance Company, Windsor, Conn., has named Scott Smith senior vice president and chief operating officer.
Smith previously was senior vice president of operations.
Smith has a bachelor’s degree in communications from Southern Connecticut State University.
- Wealth Management Systems Inc., Bedminster, N.J., has hired John Geli to be chief executive officer.
Geli succeeds Jude Metcalfe, who will continue to be a Wealth Management Systems shareholder.
Tom Loch will continue to be president and chairman of the company.
- Kaiser Permanente, Oakland, Calif., has promoted Thomas Curtin Jr. to senior vice president for national sales and account management.
Curtin previously was vice president of marketing, sales and business development at Kaiser Permanente’s Mid-Atlantic states region.
Curtin has a bachelor’s degree in business and economics from St. Anselm College.
- HealthMarkets Inc., North Richland Hills, Texas, has hired K. Alec Mahmood to be senior vice president of budget, planning and analysis.
Mahmood previously was chief operating officer and chief financial officer of the Medicaid division and general manager of the Medicare special needs plans division at Coventry Health Care Inc., Bethesda, Md.
Mahmood has a bachelor’s degree in history from Creighton University and a master’s degree in health administration from the University of Southern California.
- The National Association of Independent Life Brokerage Agencies, Fairfax, Va., has hired Michele Liston to be director of meetings and conventions.
Liston previously was the director of conventions and conferences for the Specialty Graphic Imaging Association, Fairfax, Va. She holds the Certified Meeting Professional professional designation.
- General Re-New England Asset Management Inc., Farmington, Conn., a unit of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., Omaha, Neb., has hired Coley Lynch to be an asset class specialist in the structured investment team.
Lynch previously was a director in the fixed interest department at M&G Investment Management Ltd., London.