- Carry cash–without a credit card, there’s no temptation to buy beyond your means.
- Know where your money is going–keep track of purchases by making lists of everything from food to utilities to subscriptions.
- Leverage “freebies” and discounts–take advantage, for example, of your employer discounts for gym memberships and transit discounts (for trains, buses, and parking).
- Pay yourself first–make sure you “save” for that big-ticket item (including retirement) before spending on a new pair of shoes or the latest gadget.
- Time is your best friend–while living at home, organize your finances as though you were out on your own. Set aside what you would pay for rent and food, and pocket the savings. By accumulating assets, you can get out on your own sooner and/or afford more luxuries later.
- Make coffee at home–invest in a coffee maker and save money by not spending $4 a day for a super latte at the fancy coffee bar.
- Have a fun night “in”–make cooking dinner fun by having friends over; each person is responsible for making or bringing a different course (e.g., salad, sides, dessert).
- Know your limits–is it cheaper to have unlimited cell phone minutes? If you cannot stay within a certain limit, then paying for unlimited minutes makes sense, but if, in the last six months, you averaged, for example, 3,000 minutes, then maybe you should get a more cost-effective plan.
- Stop gas guzzling–with runaway gas prices, consider mass transit or carpooling with coworkers from your neighborhood.
Samuel Descovich will lead products and solutions in the Americas and work on expanding the ESG lineup.
This latest redemption since Ken Fisher's lewd comments pushes the total to $1.8 million.
Forget about what you will earn. If you put the client first, you will reap the benefits.
Sponsored by Voya Financial Advisors
How to provide clients with a balanced approach as you help them manage their finances.
Sponsored by T. Rowe Price Investment Services, Inc.
Get insights on how changes to the high yield bond market can create new opportunities for you and your clients.
Sponsored by LPL Financial
Get an in-depth look at how you can lock in future value through proven tactics that will grow your bottom line.
Don’t miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed investment advisory decisions. Join ThinkAdvisor.com now!
- Free unlimited access to ThinkAdvisor.com which provides advisors, like you, with comprehensive coverage of the products, services and trends necessary to guide your clients in making critical wealth, health and life decisions.
- Exclusive discounts on ALM and ThinkAdvisor events.
- Access to other award-winning ALM websites including TreasuryandRisk.com and Law.com.
Copyright © 2019 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.