Close Close
Popular Financial Topics Discover relevant content from across the suite of ALM legal publications From the Industry More content from ThinkAdvisor and select sponsors Investment Advisor Issue Gallery Read digital editions of Investment Advisor Magazine Tax Facts Get clear, current, and reliable answers to pressing tax questions
Luminaries Awards

Life Health > Health Insurance > Life Insurance Strategies

Group DI Sales Pass $12 Billion Last Year

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

U.S. group disability inforce premium grew around 7% in 2006, from aboout $11 billion in 2005 to more than $12 billion, according to a survey by JHA Inc., Portland, Maine.

The figure represent combined sales for short- and long-term disability insurance policies among 32 carriers, representing over 95% of the market.

Companies reported an 8% increase in STD inforce premium and a 7% increase in LTD inforce premium. JHA, a unit of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., Omaha, Neb., reports the number of employers offering disability coverage rose at 5% for STD and 3% for LTD, while the total number of insured employees rose by 8% for STD and 6% for LTD.

The survey also showed that 2006 U.S. group disability sales (STD and LTD) remained about level with 2005, totaling over $1.9 billion in new annualized premium. While STD sales premium fell by close to 2%, new LTD sales premium showed an increase of 2% in 2006.

The top 10 carriers’ share of the DI market fell slightly in 2006. Together, they wrote 73% of new STD business in 2006 and almost 78% of new LTD business, compared to 2005, when the same carriers wrote 76% and 83% of new sales, respectively, for STD and LTD.

“After posting a slight gain in 2005, overall industry sales slipped a bit in 2006,” said Drew King, president of JHA. “Voluntary LTD sales were up, after a couple of down years, which is a positive sign. Inforce premium growth, which is dependent on renewals, persistency and wage inflation, was consistent with recent years.”


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.