Napoleon Hill, acclaimed author of Think and Grow Rich (one of the most popular sales books ever written), recommended a 6-step program for achieving your financial goals:
1. Fix in your mind the amount of money you desire. Be specific.
2. Establish how you will go about earning this money. (There is no something for nothing.)
3. Establish the date by which you will acquire that sum.
4. Create your plan of action. (What individual steps will you take? In which order?)
5. Write down your plan of action. Include how you will use the money once you acquire it.
6. Read through your plan every day and believe that you will achieve your goal.
This may sound simple, and it is, but only if you have a growth mindset. The most common mistake is having a fixed mindset.
Those with a fixed mindset:
- Want to appear intelligent at all costs
- Believe that success comes effortlessly to smart people
- React to failure by blaming others
Those with a growth mindset:
- Want to learn at all costs
- Believe working harder makes you smarter
- React to failure by becoming more resilient
Acquiring a growth mindset does not require unbridled optimism or a very high level of self-esteem. You can be optimistic or pessimistic, introverted or extroverted, but with the right mindset, success can’t be far behind.
Sign up for The Lead and get a new tip in your inbox every day! More tips:
Nick Ray is a business coach who specializes in working with financial services professionals. He is the author of There’s More to Selling than Making the Sale as well as a workbook on target marketing. He can be reached at [email protected].